We have dove head-first into our kitchen project… catch our little video to see what was the first piece of kitchen to get the boot.
Just so we are on the same page, here’s a list of what is being done (not necessarily in this order):
- Tearing out existing cabinets
- Taking out the wall that connects our kitchen and living room
- Remove linoleum flooring
- Re-plastering some walls
- Adding sand texture to kitchen walls
- Re-vamping the pantry
- New Cabinets
- New Countertops
- New Flooring
- Painting window trim
- Adding a 3-4 person counter-height “bar”
We are very aware that there will probably be some problems and small projects to tackle in-between now and whenever we finish. I think we will try to keep to a schedule, but tantrums won’t be thrown when deadlines aren’t hit. The goal is to be finishing up by early to mid-May. Our budget is very modest, but we did score some super deals on cabinets and flooring already… and we are currently holding out for a sale with the countertops we have picked out. We’ll share the nitty-gritty detail$ when everything’s all said and done!
For now, we have “lovely” pictures to share of the current status. Here’s where we started:
I’m kicking myself for not cleaning up a bit in this photo… or this one:
I promise the new kitchen won’t be so sloppy. Can you see some progress though? A hint of missing cabinet doors? Maybe the unattached/not-so-subtle hood vent for the oven? Can I get a whoop, whoop! We have been busy this Easter weekend! We did snag a few problems though- after moving the fridge, the realization set in that we’d have to take care of an unexpected water line for the ice-maker- ‘So that’s how that works’. Anywho, Kevin ran to the store and managed to easily cap that water line from the basement.
When we finally got the point of moving the existing countertops out, we went to shut off the water valves for the sink. There were none. At first, I sort of freaked at the thought of having to keep our main water valve off. That means no showers, no laundry, no washing hands… you get the idea. Luckily, we live in age where there are many solutions to this problem, though we were gritting our teeth at the thought of hiring a plumber. Then, we pondered our ability to solder pipes ourselves. It was an untouchable DIY project, even for us, the people who hire NO ONE. Then I consulted YouTube. I found a few videos that seemed promising, and required no soldering like this one and had Kevin watch. He gave it the stamp of approval, and off to the hardware store we went!
Not many pictures of the process, since I was the flashlight holder, but the afore mentioned video is very straightforward. I really like the quarter turn shut-off valve versus multiple turn. Humble opinion. We are very happy with the result, as you can see.
I am loving learning so much through this project, though there better not be a quiz anytime soon. I’m corking more destruction until tomorrow. Tell me what you all did for Easter weekend! I hope it was more relaxing than ours!